Sunday 7 September 2014

Zippity Doo Dah #support #friendship #holidays


I little while back, I spoke to you regarding my best friend's fear to travel overseas.  I mentioned that even though her husband nagged her to accompany him, she would not go. Letting him go alone with his brother and sister in law. I had spoken with joy, that she had considered joining us at Christmas in Europe.  

As the time is creeping up on the silly season, I reminded her of her intentions about a week ago.  Her allergy to commitment to holidays, became so intense that, our text messages no longer needed ring tones but, a cardiac surgeon present.  At the mere mention, you could feel the pulse rate hammering through your fingers. If on the Richter scale, I believe that Europe was in evacuation mode.  

After many frosty nights texting too and fro, my friend finally admitted - one, she would not be joining us. And two, the only reason she does travel to us, is to work.  Yes, she has visited us numerous times before, but she was not coming only to see us, but to organize our home. To oversea the electrical work, to lay pavers, to stack my garage so that it was methodically laid out. To rearrange my pantry, to bring order to  my ever so tragic shoe collection.  Yes, my friend finally admitted, holidays were a waste of time if you were not doing something productive such as hard labor.  

Establishing this outcome was met with grace, gratitude and admiration for her work ethic, from me. Hmmmmm! It was also met with the wrath of a jilted gay boy!  Our phones became the battle field which two fighting drag queens could not imagine. (I might add my friend is as straight as the day is long but she fights like an alley cat)  I fight in a more subtle way.  I fight like an Ice Queen on speed. I fight with gusts of chilled wind, followed by daggers of ice. I fight, that anyone, not used to the perils of an ice excursion, may find themselves dangling dangerously on broken ice, awaiting their fall to a frozen death, of which only those who traveled on the Titanic, could possibly have knowledge and first hand experience.  My friend, on the other hand, has the strength of a pack horse, the head of a mule, the claws of a mountain lion and the subtlety of a sledge hammer.  Both going head to head is something only fans of Conan the Barbarian will have witnessed.  (I, by the way, I am not the evil warlord)  I am more Thor (ever so blonde, ever so cute, ever so galant) on a mission to rid the evils of my friends mind.  

After a week of playing jugular texting, and so forth, both became a little worse for wear.  Both became weary of a pending loss of friendship, and I, the loss of my boyhood if I swore at her one more time.  Yes I said, "Have it your own way", threw my tiara and handbag in the air and said "You like work so much, join us, and you may build bridges on our vacation."  In true gay boy style, knowing of my therapeutical powers, I walked away from the discussion, knowing very well my friend would not let me have the last say.  At this time, knowing my therapy was on the rise, I reached for my final thrust and she bowed, admitted defeat, and is joining us on our sojourn through Europe.  Her husband, now knowing that they are up up and away, will have his heart checked soon owing to the shock waves he is having throughout his surprised body.  

You may ask, 'What is the moral to this story?'  Simple!  Don't give up on friends.  Don't give up on caring.  Don't give up, even though the road gets tough. Outwit them with logic, wear them down.  Stab where you know, will most bring them to their knees.  Make them realize that it is for the good of others, for the good of the nation, for the good their health.  And just as they are teetering on the edge of the broken ice in the lake, offer them a lifeline, a solution. Promise them you will be their by their side for their journey.  Promise them. that you are proud of their prior convictions but, you would be even more proud, if their convictions included you and not the the rearranging of your fridge.  

I make light of this but seriously, I will be there for my friend.  I will be there with the refreshing water.  I will hold the paper bag for her to breathe her emotions into.  I know that this is a big step for her.  I know that this is a wonderful surprise for her husband.  I know that this step will benefit  both of them.  Yes there will be moments, but this is for her.  This is to give her some freedom, some fun, something to see, something to start afresh, without having to make allowance for her time away from home with the excuse of manual labor for others.  

I personally want her to see, that she is loved for her, not for what she does for others.  I want her to know, that I want to see her without the hammer in her hand.  I want to see her sitting back enjoying people's company, rather than having to prove herself in sweat. I want her to experience her, and I want to experience her, without her having to earn her holiday.  

So don't give up on friendship. It may get rough. It may be gut wrenching but, you chose this friend so don't choose to turn your back when the road gets a little hazardous. Just strap yourself in, and your fast and furious drive will turn to a gentle drive in the countryside with views beyond belief. And you will be singing zippity doo dah with me.  

Until next time, stay safe, keep the letters flowing in and love yourself, as well as others. You are worth it.  

Cheers!

Bitchescoz

Contact: luke65mcbride@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment