Saturday 24 May 2014

Is Patience a Virtue

 
Today at the office we were discussing the virtues of patience, and I got to wondering how many of us actually do have patience.

We all like to think, and tell everyone, that we are patient but, I think it is great to acknowledge that some of us are in denial.  I for one trust my instinct that, along with my other intolerances of intolerance to gluten, intolerance to seafood, I also believe (self diagnosed of course) I have an intolerance to queuing. I also believe, or is that hope, a change in diet and a little detox may cleanse my liver of the shit that has built up on it. Therefore I wait 'patiently' for  the remedy to cure my ailment that I think may have come from birth.

I guess even back then I was suffering from this intolerance - you see I was to be born in the February but no - I decided 'no waiting' - I'm coming out on the 22 January! And, while I'm at it I'm not coming out the normal pathway - I'm not going through 'that'! So, I decided to never allow myself entry to those areas, and came  'out' via Caesarean Section. A path fit for Kings (or is that Queens)!

 Yes, I believe that some of us have a greater tolerance for patience than I, and believe with a little encouragement and reassurance from my friends and partner that I too, may achieve that feeling of euphoria they have, when they  wait in line at the supermarket, or hang on the phone waiting to be fast tracked because you are a valued customer.

Ok! Having established that I do in fact, lack the ability of 'patience' what do I do about it? Do I stand in the supermarket queue and smile sweetly at the 15 people in front of me with more than 10 items in their basket in the express lane?  Do I simply take a novel to the phone while waiting for the bank to tell me I have moved up in the queue? Should I encourage the other shoppers to join me in song '100 green bottles' while the checkout operator has called for a price check from a staff member who has obviously gone on long service leave? Should, when I get to my turn on the bank queue forget that there are 120 others waiting after me and discuss my retirement package, coz when I ring and get on queue the next time, retirement may have happened upon me while waiting?

Having let my partner read what I have written thus far, he slaps me and says, I have to breath deeply and think happy thoughts and that good things come to those who wait.  My immediate thought is have I changed gender and I am in a birthing suite delivering his child naturally?  And if so, I want him here experiencing my pain, slap him up on the gurney and give him a full body wax while I think happy thoughts.

Back into thoughts on patience! Yes, I accept his and my friends thoughts on the euphoria one should achieve in these times. Yes, I accept that I was wrong in thinking of throttling the customers in front of me and that I should offer to push there overladen trolleys to their cars (while I wait) and that I will achieve great abundance of good things happening to me for waiting so long. I should also believe that I should apply more tact and diplomacy to each situation.

Now having gained this knowledge of how to reach a plateau of peace and tranquility, I pour myself a nice glass of wine, sit patiently, write my shopping list, pass it to my partner lovingly and say, "This is what I need from the market Honey, the frequent shoppers card is in my wallet - don't forget it. Oh and it might be best to ring the bank and see if you have enough money in the account to pay for your purchases!"

Cheers

Bitchescoz

No comments:

Post a Comment